YARMOUTH, N.S. – The Yarmouth Mariners had a great start to their 2018-19 regular season with two home wins.
On Sept. 14 the Mariners had a 3-2 win over the Campbellton Tigers and followed this up win with a big 5-1 victory over the Summerside Western Capitals on Sept. 15.
The Mariners wasted little time getting on the scoreboard during that game against the Capitals, scoring 40 seconds into the game and then tallying three more goals to take a 4-0 lead in the first period before Summerside scored its lone goal of the game in the first period.
The Mariners team’s roster was introduced at Friday’s season opener, and there were also two special banners unveiled. The first was a tribute banner to the Humboldt Broncos. All 133 member clubs in the Canadian Junior Hockey League are unveiling these banners at regular season home games.
The banner, designed by Tyler Hutchinson of Moose Jaw, Sask., is to be displayed in arenas across the country in honour and remembrance of all those involved in the tragic events of April 6, 2018, when 16 people with the team were killed in a bus accident. The victims included 10 players, two coaches, a statistician, a broadcaster, the bus driver, and an athletic therapist. Thirteen players also received injuries, most of them serious.
The banner that was unveiled reads: ‘We play for them. Always remembered, April 6, 2018.’
The second banner that was unveiled was the Mariners’ MHL 2017-2018 Eastlink South Division Champions banner. The Mariners had a very successful season last year, winning the division championship and making it to Game 6 of the league championship final.
In advance of last week’s season opener, the team had announced its captains and assistant captains. Named as captains this year are Chris Goreham of Shelburne County and Noah McMulline. The assistant captains are Andrew Martell, Connor Peveril and Brett Crossley.
This weekend the Mariners are on the road Friday, Sept. 21 playing the Valley Wildcats and are back at home on Saturday, Sept. 22 to host Pictou County.
Weekend game recaps:
Friday, Sept. 14
Yarmouth 3 – Campbellton 2
• Mariners Game goals: Miguel Poirier (1st period), Chris Goreham (1st period), Matthew Boring (2nd period)
• Mariners Game assists: Cade Neilson, Shawn Guison (2), Logan Timmons, Brett Crossley, Sam Gillis
• Power play goals: 1
• In net: Tyler Caseley 15 saves on 17 shots
• Mariners shots on net: 34
• Game stars: Miguel Poirier (1st), Chris Goreham (2nd)
Saturday, Sept. 15
Yarmouth 5 – Summerside 1
• Mariners Game goals: Logan Timmons (Two goals in the 1st period), Brent Broaders (1st period), Chris Goreham (1st period), Brett Crossley (3rd period, short-handed)
• Mariners Game assists: Brett Crossley (2), Andrew Martell, Matt Barron (2), Shawn Guison, Connor Peveril, Brady Crossley, Noah McMullin
• Power play goals: 2
• In net: Tyler Caseley 28 saves on 29 shots
• Mariners shots on net: 37
• Game stars: Brett Crossley (1st), Logan Timmons (2nd), Matt Barron (3rd)