Top News

Furnace trouble sends Greenfield Elementary students home early

Students at Greenfield Elementary School in Greenfield, Queens County, were sent home early Dec. 20 because of some smoke in the school building.

A problem with the furnace caused the furnace room to smoke up, and then the smoke went out into the school, said Theresa Schroder, communications coordinator with the South Shore Regional School Board.

“The students were actually relocated to a community centre close by,” said Schroder.

The incident occurred in the morning, and all the students were fine, she added.

Parents were notified, and children were bused home.

The South Shore Regional School Board is now trying to determine whether there will be school Dec. 21.

Recent Stories